Wednesday, January 7, 2009

iTunes goes DRM-free

Okay, so I am on the record as a certified Apple-agnostic.  I can’t imagine ever buying a Mac computer, even though I am a galvanized and enthusiastic iPhone customer.

But even I have to admit that Apple moved a little closer to the light with their announcement of DRM-free music on their iTunes store.  I have steadfastly refused to buy any music from them on principle—I hate DRM and all their endless restrictions of backing up, burning, and updating music licenses.  I have already been bit by the problem and lost $20+ worth of music from other services because of DRM.  Never again.

But the point is moot.  Now that iTunes is DRM free, I am sure they are going to get my loose change ($0.69 to $1.29) and that Amazon is going to lose out on that same change.  Why?  Because it’s just too darn cool to download it straight to your iPhone…

2 comments:

Jake Shore said...

Somewhere an Apple Executive just got his wings.

Trevor Elliott said...

I always thougt DRM stood for Don't Rip Music or maybe Darn Ripoff Mac